If you want to know the requirements to be a yoga teacherBefore two you must understand that since there are many variations that are practiced throughout the world, hatha yoga is practiced in the United States.
From this as an instructor, you will dedicate yourself to teaching practitioners to master the techniques in conjunction with breathing, meditation and exercise.
The requirements to be a yoga teacher
As one of the requirements to be a yoga teacher Essential, as an instructor you must be an expert in at least one of the yoga variants and especially in hatha yoga if you plan to work in the United States because it is the variant that is generally practiced in the country.
In training you can receive it in a school or under the direction of a mentor. But in addition to being an experienced instructor, you must know how to lead a class and guide the students.
You must enroll in one of the training programs that abound in the United States in order to become an instructor.
Training program: The program lasts for several weeks or months and the approximate cost is usually between 1500 and 3000 dollars.
You must comply with a training focused on avoiding injuries in students and you will learn about anatomy, human physiology and the best alignment for yoga poses.
You will also learn to read students’ bodies and apply touch as a guide to correct position.
In the training program you will know the best way to carry out a class, direct it, design the sequence of the poses, apply a good voice and the construction of the teacher / student relationship.
Some of the programs also focus on business skills and marketing, as the instructors are generally freelancers and therefore this training is necessary if you plan to open your own school.
Yoga Instructor Licenses:
State governments do not require licenses for yoga instructors, but you must have voluntary certifications and designations.
In this sense and due to the different practices and philosophy of yoga, the schools will train you as an instructor in a philosophy and at the same time they will offer you a certification when you finish the program.
The certification will be useful to introduce to potential employers and clients who are looking for an instructor trained in a specific yoga practice.
Training time is also part of the requirements, because although completing the instructor training program can take several weeks or months, until you can learn to teach it can take several years as a yoga student.
The teacher certification in the United States is issued by YNAUS. This requires a minimum of 3 years of study and continuous practice with a certified teacher and education programs are taught by qualified teachers and centers throughout the country.
To apply, you must find a CIYT who will agree to serve as a mentor through the certification process, will also serve as a recommendation teacher, and you must even be a current member of IYNAUS to request the evaluation.
How to become a yoga teacher and the application process
You must comply with the requirements to be a yoga teacher and comply with the certification application process in this way:
- Begin the online application process after you have obtained approval from your mentor and the recommending teacher.
- At this time, prepare all the documentation about your study history, your passport and payment by credit card to complete the online application.
- As a candidate you can choose between three places in order of preference, but they are options that are not guaranteed.
- When you are done, you must notify your mentor and the recommending teacher to complete their recommendations online.
- Join the Yoga Alliance, as this way you can have access to benefits that will support your work.
- You will join an association that promotes standards of training and practice, you will increase your credibility as a yoga instructor, and if you maintain your annual enrollment, you can use the Register Yoga Teacher designation on your website and in your marketing plan. as the Alliance trademark is a symbol of global recognition.
- In this sense, you will benefit because it is the place where the public looks for quality teachers and schools and you will find yourself in the most complete directory of teachers.
- Because you need a continuing education, you must meet certain requirements such as:
Every 3 years from the date you registered you must complete and record a minimum of 45 hours of yoga teaching
– 30 hours of training related to yoga referred to certain educational categories, of which:
– At least 10 hours of training must be contact hours.
– Non-contact hours should not be more than 20.
– Hours of teaching or training prior to registration are not considered continuing education.
– If you accumulate more hours than required in a 3-year period, the overtime is not considered for the next 3-year period.
– The hours of continuing education must be accumulated by learning something new, through research, learning or experimental study.
Keep in mind that continuing education accumulates class hours in the physical presence of a certified continuing education provider. and all hours must be directly related to the Alliance educational categories, for example:
– One hour of contact is equivalent to one hour of the following activities:
Single session or an ongoing series of workshops, courses, study or discussion groups and yoga teacher training.
Non-contact hours: Non-contact hours consist of learning outside of the classroom without a qualified continuing education provider present. All hours must be directly related to the Alliance’s educational categories.
One hour without contact is obtained by completing one hour of any of these activities:
– Watching a video or reading an article or book,
– Being a student participating in a webinar or taking an online or correspondence course,
– Receiving remote tutoring or creating content for public dissemination such as in magazines, online newspapers, DVD’s, CD’s or newsletters.
– Creating class materials to distribute to students.
You should also submit a written reflection or evaluation of each activity to demonstrate what you learned and how it relates to one or more of the educational categories.
Educational categories The educational categories are:
-Techniques, training and practice, how to practice yoga on video
– Teaching methodology, how to teach yoga effectively on video.
– Anatomy and physiology: Physical and energetic leathers on video.
– Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics: History, Philosophy, Ethics and Lifestyle Practices of Yoga on Video.