Every California county has an Adult Protection Service (APS) agency to help seniors (65 years and older) and dependent adults (18- 64-year-old disabled). , Ignored or exploited. The county APS agency investigated reports of abuse of seniors and dependent adults living in private homes, apartments, hotels, or hospitals.
To report abuse, please dial this number 1-833-401-0832 and enter your 5-digit postal code when prompted to connect to the adult protection service in your county 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
APS staff also provide information and refer it to other agencies, and educate the public on reporting requirements and responsibilities in accordance with the Law on Reporting Adult Abuse by Elderly and Family Members.
Cross-reporting APS agencies, law enforcement agencies, and the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman (OSLTCO) are responsible for cross-reporting abuse allegations to the appropriate law enforcement agencies, public agencies, and licensing entities that have jurisdiction over these cases. These institutions include:
- The California Department of Health Services (DHCS), Licensing & Certification, handles cases of alleged abuse by a member of a hospital or health clinic. County APS staff evaluates abuse cases and arranges for services such as advocacy, counseling, money management, out-of-home placement, or conservatorship.
- OSLTCO, managed by the California Department of Aging (CDA), has the right to investigate in nursing homes, residential care facilities for seniors, adult residential facilities, intermediate care facilities, adult day medical facilities, and adult day programs. The ombudsman investigation is done by certified staff and volunteers from the Local Long-Term Care Inspector Program (LTCOP).
- The California Department of State Hospitals has jurisdiction for investigating reports of alleged abuse at California State Mental Hospitals.
- The California Department of Developmental Services (CDDS) has jurisdiction to investigate reports of alleged abuse that occur at State Developmental Centers.
These services are available to any elder or dependent adult regardless of income.
- Services are available to any person, regardless of income.
- Services are available in all 58 counties.