You need a permission to travel to Mexico by American car If you travel to Mexico and cross the border area, you require a temporary import permit for vehicles.
Do you want to know what is understood by border area and where can you start the process to enter Mexico with your own car? Well, keep reading and you will know all the details and requirements:
Permission to travel to Mexico by American car: where to process it
- The permission to travel to Mexico by American car What you need if you travel across the border area of Mexico means a trip in an area that travels 21 km to the south and that covers some areas of the state of Sonora, the entire territory of Quintana Roo and Baja California. If you travel with your car through any of these states, the authorities have the right to request a temporary import permit for vehicles.
- The procedure can be done in Banjercito, it is the only bank that can issue it in the border modules.
- Therefore, if you plan to travel across the border reaching a distance of about 25 kilometers, you must manage the permit.
- You can do it online on the official Banjercito website, complying with the requirements that will be requested.
Permission to travel to Mexico by American car: requirements
- Since the process has a delay of 11 business days, you must start applying for the temporary permit 22 to 60 days before the date of entry.
- If your nationality is not Mexican, you need a pre-authorization that can be processed at the National Migration Institute.
- If you are a resident of the United States or a naturalized Mexican, you will need your United States passport and your residence card (the Green card)
- As a foreigner you require a copy of the pre-authorization issued by the National Migration Institute.
- You will present the document that proves that you are the owner of the vehicle, it can be the registration of the valid plates, the title of ownership of the vehicle or the lease or credit contract in force.
- Keep in mind that depending on the vehicle you want to enter the national territory, be it a trailer, a motor home or a car, you will require a different permit depending on the case.
- The temporary importation of foreign vehicles is considered for private use with the objective of remaining in Mexico for a limited period of time and whose purpose is specific and the vehicle returns to the foreign country in the same state that it entered.
Permission to travel to Mexico by American car: who can carry out the procedure
- You can complete the procedure if you are a Mexican resident in a foreign country.
- If you are of legal age and have legal residence abroad.
- If you can prove that you have been legally working in the foreign country for one year or more
- If you enter a car into the national territory in a period of twelve months.
- Passport card.
- Residence card issued by the immigration authority of the foreign country.
- Mexican passport with the stamp corresponding to the residence granted by the foreign government.
- The employment authorization credential.
- If the property title is in the name of siblings, children, parents or spouses of legal age, you must present the birth certificate of children or parents, the marriage certificate, the birth certificate corresponding to the importer and owner if the property title It is in the name of brothers.
- If you are a woman, you will prove ownership of the vehicle by presenting a document that proves the difference in surnames with a marriage certificate, a birth certificate, passport or license.
- The Banjercito staff will give you a hologram that you must adhere to the windshield of the vehicle and you will not alter any information on the temporary import permit.
Permission to travel to Mexico by American car online
- If you carry out the procedure online, you must accept the declaration under protest in which you agree to return the vehicle within the period of time that they authorized you and not to carry out crimes or other offenses due to improper use.
- If you are Mexican residing in the foreign country, it requires the document number issued by the immigration authority of the foreign country that proves that you are a resident in that foreign country or the passport number issued by the corresponding authority of the foreign country and your date of birth. .
- If you are a foreigner entering Mexico as a tourist, you will need a passport card, passport or naturalization certificate and your date of birth.
Permission to travel to Mexico
You require a permission to travel to Mexico by American car, if you plan to travel more than 25 km. from the border, in which case you can request the temporary permit on the website of Banjercito, the only body authorized to issue the permit. Taking into account the delay of 11 business days, request the permit with an anticipation of between 22 and 60 days of your entry to Mexico.
Temporary permit to travel to Mexico by American car
- You need a vehicle import permit if you travel to Mexico and drive beyond the Mexican free zone. Then the TIP, the temporary import permit, will be managed by Bannercito, the body in charge of issuing the permit that is valid for a vehicle weighing no more than three tons.
- Although you can manage the permit online on the Banjercito page, you can also request it at the Mexican border, but keep in mind that if you travel through the Sonora free zone or through the Baja California peninsula, you do not need an import permit. temporary.
Well, Sonora has a restriction if you travel beyond km 98 through federal highway 15, but if you travel through the state of Sonora you can request an import permit only Sonora.
Permission to travel to Mexico by American car telephone
If you have any questions, you can resolve them with the customs authority by calling 01-800-463-6728, marking the option for foreign trade and then marking option 2.
From the United States and Mexico City you can call 1-877-448-87-28.
Border car permit requirements
If you are a resident of the border region and want to import a used car to the area, request temporary importation:
- Banjercito has CIITEV modules in customs. You must pay a cost of 400 Mexican pesos. You will obtain the permit for 180 days within the year, with 6 non-extendable months computing entries and exits in the 12-month period from the first importation.