Running a moving business can be physically demanding. A typical day can start by getting home early. Once there, you may need to pack your items and household items into boxes. After packing, you will need to stack and organize the boxes to fit inside your truck, trailer, or van. Finally, you will have to drive to the new location and unload the boxes and furniture in the new house.
What do I need to start a moving business?
There are a few things to consider before starting.
- First, determine your delivery radius. Some companies cannot leave their city or state. Others move across the country.
- Second, think about your vehicles. Some companies specialize in large box trucks. Others use semi-trailers.
- If you want to offer more options for your customers, you can offer truck rental and storage services.
- Finally, you can think of buying a franchise as of Two Men and a Truck (https://franchise.twomenandatruck.com).
Required skill set:
- Ability to lift very heavy objects.
- Ability to work in very hot or very cold weather conditions.
- Excellent driving skills.
- Ability to follow directions; know the area or use a map / GPS.
- Good organizational skills.
- Collection, loading and delivery scheduling.
- Handling of large vehicles.
- Maintenance and maintenance of trucks and / or vans.
- Keep an accurate record of mileage.
- Packing multiple items to fit together in a suitable space for travel.
- Proper packing of items, i.e. extra care and packing of delicate items.
- Ability to move furniture and appliances in tight spaces.
- List of common business skills.
Consideration of employees and work to be done
Necessary equipment, supplies and services
- Safety equipment (such as flashing lights and flares)
- First aid kit
- Packing materials
- Elastic laces
- CB or other radio equipment
- GPS system integrated in the vehicle
- Warehouse for any necessary storage
- Reserve vehicles (or more)
- Trailer (s) hitched (s)
- Essential office equipment
Monthly expenses and operating costs to consider:
- Vehicle payments
- Vehicle maintenance
Depending on the size of your trucks, you may also need a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
Approximate daily hours required:
- General hours of operation:
You can have an office that is open during normal business hours, 9 am to 5 am. However, a day can start very early (6:00 am) and end late at night or even a few days later (movements from coast to coast).
- Hours needed to prepare:
You may need an hour or two at the beginning and end of the day. This time is for loading / unloading the appropriate equipment, vehicle checks, logbook maintenance, and planning for the next move.
- Approximate minimum start-up cost:
According to Entrepreneur Magazine, the average start-up cost for a moving service is estimated to be between $ 10,000 and $ 50,000. However, this will depend on whether you already have a truck and trailer or whether you have to buy one.
Advantages and disadvantages of starting a moving business
- Your hours are more or less yours, depending on the schedule you have set for each job
- You can travel and meet new people
- This service is stable; people are often relocating
- It’s easy to add a related service
- Physically demanding
- You may have to work in bad weather conditions
- Pickups and deliveries may be delayed due to road conditions or road construction
- You are fully responsible for the loss or breakage of your cargo
- You may have to work long nights, weekends, and holidays
Type of customers you need to attract:
Your clients are people who are in the process of relocation. They are easy to find through real estate agents and newspaper garage sale ads. Military bases are good places to find clients, as military personnel relocate frequently.
Additionally, you can find clients who are business owners by posting advertisements and distributing business cards to business owners at local functions and network meetings.
Average income generated by a moving business
Interesting fact: Berger Transfer and Storage is a $ 90 million dollar company that handles more than 25,000 moves a year. However, it started 100 years ago with just one man, a horse, and a trailer.
Today, with so many fluctuations in the economy, this service can bring in approximately $ 90,000 a year for a one-man operation.
We recommend reading also: