A doctor’s care should focus on patients, not money, but how do you help medical professionals focus on their core competencies with a medical billing service?
Despite the fact that the healthcare industry is growing in the United States, most doctors and other healthcare providers have no idea how to get paid quickly and efficiently.
Instead, doctors are overwhelmed by the maze of complicated claim forms and insurance policy procedures. As a medical claims biller, you can earn a good income handling claims for doctors and other health care specialists, plus minimal up-front costs.
Business Vision of a Medical Billing Business
Working from home as a medical biller involves working closely with doctors to help them complete their claims with insurance agencies and patients. It consists of keeping a record of the different insurance claims, as well as sending invoices and collection statements.
You can easily do this work from home using a computer and a telephone line, as well as special software designed for this purpose.
Once you’ve taken the necessary classes and earned a certification to understand basic language and coding, you need to start finding clients. References are very helpful in building a customer base who trust you to handle their billing.
This is a good business opportunity. It is becoming increasingly difficult for healthcare providers to maintain their internal billing.
There are many changes to billing procedures and many insurance company requirements. It makes sense for them to have an “expert” to handle the billing so they don’t have to deal with changes and requirements.
- Stay up-to-date on medical terminology
- Data handling
- Preparation of claims to insurance companies
- Accurate record keeping
- Mail patient statements
- Track all unpaid insurance claims
- Resolve resources
- The ability to collect unpaid invoices
- Handling of all patient billing inquiries
- List of common business skills
Consideration of the employee and the work during the initial phase
- Collections specialist
- Medical transcription
- Common Staff Positions Needed to Run Some Businesses
Approximate daily hours needed
You must be available for work during the general business day from at least 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, as you will spend a good deal of your time on the phone with different doctor’s offices, insurance companies, and patients.
Approximate minimum start-up cost
Essentially essential: Counting the education you will need, your startup costs could generally range from $ 3,000 to $ 5,000. Much of this depends on both the level and quality of education you pursue and the type of software you decide to purchase for your business.
Suggestions and considerations
- These services require knowledge of both complex medical terms and the software used by different hospitals and insurance agencies. Certificate programs are available to anyone who wants to get into this business.
- Have a plan when you meet with your clients. Know what you are going to offer them, how you are going to help their business, and above all how they will save money and receive the best possible service.
- You can ask your own doctor’s office manager if he / she would allow you to sit and observe what is required. Most will agree to do this because it shows your employer that they have the ability to coach others!
Advantages and disadvantages
- This job is easy to do from the comfort of your own home.
- The market for this job is growing rapidly, giving you many opportunities to be successful.
- Once the fundamentals are mastered, this is a job that can be easy to do and enjoyable.
- It usually requires classes to become familiar with the different medical terms used on the job.
- It can also require considerable start-up costs with computer software and licenses.
- Finding clients can be difficult
Medical facilities, private doctors, hospitals, dentists, and anyone in the medical field.
With a growing number of providers and a growing number of patients, the healthcare industry continues to grow. According to a recent study, national healthcare costs were more than $ 1.5 trillion in 2017, and Medicare spending was more than $ 240 billion of that amount. There is no question that health care is big business.