The Decoration of cakes Traditional ones like the ones Grandma used to make are back, but with a twist. Baking exquisite cakes with unique decoration is a talent; today decoration is becoming an art form. To see the requirements to open a Bakery business visit the full post here.
Today brides-to-be are celebrating their wedding party with modern themes, and upscale downtown areas are selling top-notch cake delicacies.
Cake Decorating as a Home Business
Today, innovative cake decorating includes 3-D shapes, photo cakes, and cakes that use edible flowers crystallized with sugar. Specialty wedding cakes and other special occasion cakes will always be in demand, so a cake or cake decorating business is easy to start and feasible to grow into a lucrative business.
Cake Decorating Skill Set:
- Use of food coloring
- Brush embroidery techniques
- Cake toppers
- Preparation of different types of glaze
- Making ice
- Apply frosting
- Decorating skills
- Create flyers
- Create messages in cakes
- Icing Floral Decorations
- Create holiday decorations
- Sculpt and mold cake designs
- Properly handle ovens and other necessary baking equipment
- Knowledge of various cake recipes
- Color coordination
- Storage and delivery of your finished cakes
- List of common business skills
Consideration of the employee and the work during the initial phase or in the future:
- Bakers staff
- Decorators: edible handmade flowers and other implements
- Cake decorators
- Cake order delivery
- Common Staff Positions Needed to Run Some Businesses
Approximate daily hours required:
Depending on your location, this job typically has longer hours ranging from early morning to early evening.
You should be prepared to bake and decorate on the weekends and sometimes last minute as well. As with a bakery, just a little more specialized, the Decoration of cakes It takes time to mix the ingredients and bake the basic cake base. Sometimes, as in the case of three-dimensional cakes, it may take several hours before the cake is cut as required for the design.
Additional hours are needed to prepare fillings and frosting, handmade edible decorating pans, and make the actual cake topper. Some cake decorators will spend an entire day crystallizing edible flowers and creating marzipan designs for cake decorations to keep on hand.
Equipment, supplies and services during start-up or in the future:
- Oven (s)
- Cooling racks.
- Turntable for easy decoration
- Multi-layer cake dividers
- A pneumatic brush
- Bowls and spatulas
- Ice tubes
- Ice bags and accessories
- Roller pins
- non-stick boards and carpets
- Different sizes and shapes of cake trays, even for cupcakes
- Heavy duty mixer
- Ice bags
- A wide variety of Cake decorations
- Cake boxes
- Delivery van or truck
- A digital camera to photograph your finished products
- A 3-ring binder to carry a portfolio of your cakes
- Menus, brochures, brochures
- Essential office equipment
Monthly expenses and additional operating costs to consider
In addition to our list of common business expenses, your bakery will require a budget for the ongoing cost of purchasing bakery supplies and packaging.
If you are starting with word of mouth, a couple of cakes per week leaving your home will be fine if you do not have a Business License. However, if your business becomes more regular, you have two options: get a zoning permit for commercial sales in your neighborhood or renting a kitchen area, which may require inspection and Licensing from the Department of Health.
Approximate minimum start-up cost
Average start-up cost can range from a couple hundred dollars if you already have purchased equipment or think you require top-of-the-line equipment like ovens and other kitchen tools and decorating appliances. You can start a small business and progressively expand in personnel and equipment as you grow.
Special requirements for this business:
- You can decide to get a additional certification in the bakery industry.
- You need to create cakes that not only rival but surpass other bakery cakes in taste and appearance by a wide margin to be successful.
- You must design your business around a “unique” theme or niche with creativity and innovation in mind.
Advantages and disadvantages:
- Easy to start
- Lower investment than many other companies
- You have the advantage of being your own boss and setting your own hours
- Provides a creative outlet
- Fully expandable and can easily grow
- The job will likely involve weekends and more weekly hours of work
- Clients can be difficult when it comes to stressful special occasions (like a wedding)
- You must have a high degree of patience and attention to detail or the results can be disastrous.
- You may have to work harder and spend more money to build a solid reputation.
- Your business is based on special occasions, any deadline or decorations that customers are unhappy, turns into stress and trouble for you.