How to obtain an EIN or Employer Identification Number

The Employer Identification Number (EIN) With its nine digits, it is required by the employer for the identification of the tax accounts and to file the tax return.

This identification number is not only required of employers but also of self-employed persons, non-profit associations, partnerships, trusts, heirs, entities and individuals and also government agencies.

Keep in mind that even if you already have your EIN you may need a new one when there are changes in the company.

How do I apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

You can request a Employer Identification Number (EIN) – Employer Identification NumberEither by mail, by fax or online.

Online: From 7 am to 10 pm on weekdays from Monday to Friday you can generate your request online, as this is the most chosen mode by all people, including those who need a new number.

Well, you simply have to complete the application online, all the information you entered is instantly verified by the system in the same session and at the end of the session you will be assigned the EIN, although you will have to wait for the assignment notice to reach you by mail.

Remember that you can download the notification, save it and print it when the session ends.

On the other hand, keep in mind that it will be an electronic application that can be used by all natural persons, including agencies, offices and entities, as long as they are located within the territory of the United States.

Even whoever carries out the application must have their taxpayer identification number and social security number, otherwise they will not be able to use the electronic application.

In fact, this type of request is not available to the entities that make up its address abroad or to designated third parties, that is, it is not possible to designate a third party to carry out the processing of this request.

By fax:

If you find it difficult to manage the request online on business days, you can also request the Employer Identification Number (EIN) by fax from Sunday to Monday 24 hours a day, therefore it has no restrictions regarding days and hours and in addition to that if you request it by fax, in 4 working days you will be assigned the EIN, therefore it is much faster the application by fax than by internet.

By mail:

However, you can also request it by mail, for this you must complete the SS-4 form, because if you know English or it is easy for you to translate it, you only have to complete the form and then send it to the address of the service center of the IRS, which you can obtain in the same form that you were completing.

However, before submitting the completed form make sure you did it correctly with all the required information.

Once you have controlled all the information, send the form, remembering that it is best not to take more than four or five weeks before you need your EIN number to be presented in a tax return, because you will have to wait this same time to have the assigned number mailed to you.

How do I apply for the Employer Identification Number without legal residence?

If you did not establish your business or do not have your legal residence in the District of Columbia or in any state, you can also request your EIN by fax, mail or phone.

By phone: For example, you can call 267-971-1099 as an international applicant from 6 am to 11 pm Monday through Friday. However, you or the person you indicate to make the call must be authorized to make the application and to receive the EIN number, since during that call you must answer certain questions that have to do with the SS-4 form and in English .

Therefore, if you choose to apply by phone, it is best that you already have this form completed, because it will depend on whether the IRS representative can use the information to assign you the EIN.

By mail: You can also request it by mail by sending the completed SS-4 form to the Internal Revenue Service Center, with attention to EIN international operation Cincinnati, OH 459999.

Before sending it, make sure that you have completed it with all the required information. You should also send it four or five weeks in advance of making a deposit or filing the tax return and four or five weeks later they will mail you the assigned number.

By fax: If you prefer to apply by fax, you can do it 24 hours a day, every day of the week and you will receive the EIN number by fax within four business days.

You will complete and send form SS-4 if you are in the District of Columbia or in one of the states to the Internal Revenue Service phone (855) 641-6935, with attention to EIN operation Cincinnati, OH 45999.

If you do not yet have a legal residence, call (855)215-1627 within the United States or fax (304)707-9471 outside the United States.

Frequently Asked Questions: Employer Identification Number (EIN-FAQ)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is a federal tax identification number similar to a social security number. Generally, all businesses must have an EIN for the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to identify taxpayers who must file multiple tax returns. Here are some answers to the most frequently asked questions about EINs.

Q: I have recently formed a limited liability company (LLC). The LLC has no employees. Do I need a separate federal tax identification number for the LLC?

TO: No, you will not need a separate federal tax identification number for the LLC if you are the sole owner of the LLC and the LLC has no employees. If you are not the sole owner of the LLC or if the LLC has employees, you will need a separate federal tax identification number for the LLC.

Q: Is an employer identification number the same as a tax identification number?

Yes, an employer identification number, or EIN, is also known as a taxpayer identification number, or TIN. The only business that does not need an employer identification number is a sole proprietorship that has no employees and does not file special tax or pension returns. In this case, the sole proprietor uses his social security number as the taxpayer identification number.

Q: As a sole proprietor, do I need an employer identification number (EIN)?

TO: As a sole proprietor, you would need to obtain an identification number if any of the following apply:

  • You pay wages to one or more employees, or
  • File pension or special tax returns.

If these conditions do not apply, your social security number is your taxpayer identification number.

Q: Is an Employer Identification Number (EIN) required if the husband and wife are the only people working in the business?

TO: If you both run a business together and share in the profit and loss, you are a partnership and each would receive a Form 1065, Schedule K-1 that is important in determining your self-employment income. If you work for your spouse, you should receive a Form W-2, showing the taxes withheld and the owning spouse would claim the wages paid to him as a deduction. Both a partnership and a sole proprietorship with an employee must have an EIN.

Q: Does a small business need a tax identification number?

TO: A sole proprietor who has no employees and who does not file special tax or pension tax returns is the only employer who does not need an employer identification number. In this case, the sole proprietor uses his social security number as the taxpayer identification number.

Q: How do I request an employer identification number (EIN)?

TO: Telephone or mail. To obtain an EIN, you must complete Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number. After you have completed Form SS-4, you can obtain the EIN by mail or by phone. The Instructions for Form SS-4 provide an IRS service center address and phone number to apply under the Tele-TIN program.

On-line. You can also apply online. Once an EIN has been completed and successfully submitted, an EIN will be issued.

Through your state office. Some states participate in a program called the Fedstate Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN). This allows you to apply directly from your state.

Q: Under what circumstances should I change my employer identification number (EIN)?

TO: If you already have an EIN and your business organization or ownership changes, you may need to apply for a new number. Some of the circumstances in which a new number is required are as follows:

  • An existing business is acquired or inherited by an individual who will operate it as a sole proprietor;
  • A sole proprietor changes to a corporation or partnership;
  • A partnership changes to a corporation or sole proprietorship;
  • A corporation changes to a partnership or sole proprietorship; or
  • The individual owner dies, and the property takes over the business.