If you want to know how to become an american citizen, It is not very difficult, because it is only a process from which as a non-US citizen you become a United States citizen at your will, from which you will obtain rights and obligations to comply with.
How to become a US citizen: Requirements
To resolve how to become an american citizen you must meet certain requirements such as:
- Have a permanent resident card, that is, the green card, which must have been in your possession for no less than five years.
- If you apply for citizenship as the spouse of a United States citizen, you must have a green card and it must have been in your possession for no less than three years.
- If you submit your application 6 months prior to the expiration of your green card or your card has expired, you must renew it.
- When submitting the application you must be 18 years old.
- You must know how to speak, write and read basic English.
- You must demonstrate your good morality.
- You must prove a permanent residence of 5 years before submitting the citizenship application, that is, the N-400 form.
- You must prove residency in the same USCIS state or district with jurisdiction over your place of residence for at least 3 months prior to submitting the application.
- You must demonstrate a continuous residence as a permanent resident of the United States of no less than 5 years prior to the start date of the citizenship process.
- You must show that you physically stayed in the United States for at least 30 months in the 5 years prior to the application submission date.
- You should show Continuous residence in the United States from submitting the application until the date you receive the certificate.
- It must show that you respect the law and know and respect the principles of the American constitution.
How to become a US citizen as a spouse of a US citizen
If you are the spouse of a US citizen, you must also meet these requirements:
- You must be a permanent resident with a green card for at least 3 years.
- Show that you lived with that person in a marital union for 3 years.
- Once you meet these requirements, submit your application to obtain US citizenship.
Keep in mind that there are cases in which a spouse of a United States citizen with employment abroad may be eligible for citizenship regardless of whether you meet the minimum required time of marital union or permanent residence, as you will be eligible under immigration law and naturalization.
Steps on how to become an American citizen
Step 1: Check that you are eligible to become a US citizen.
Step 2: Complete and submit form N-400.
Step 3: Take the naturalization test and do the personal interview.
Step 4: Visit the Citizenship Resource Center to find information.
Step 5: Prepare for the test by listening to the audio in M3 with the hundred questions and answers.
Step 6: Get the study material for the civics and English test.
Step 7: Prepare for the test of government and history of the United States.
Step 8: You will receive the certificate of naturalization when you have become a US citizen.
How to become an American citizen without speaking English
Generally, as a rule, you must know written and oral English at a basic level but there are exceptions to this rule, because if you demonstrate mental weakness or a physical disability you may qualify to become a U.S. citizen without understanding written and oral English and you will not need to take the exam. history and government of the United States.
To do this, a doctor must complete the N-648 form and by signing it he will show that you are a person with a disability or mental weakness.
Even if you do not have a disability, if you are a person over 50 years of age with legal permanent residence or at least 29 years of age, you do not need to take the exam or demonstrate that you understand written and oral English.
Even if you are 50 or older and demonstrate lawful permanent residence for 15 years, you don’t need to take the civics and American history test or understand written and oral English.
Requirements for American citizenship in Spanish
However, you should know that although you do not need to understand written and oral English, sometimes it is mandatory that you pass the US government and history exam.
Well, if you are 50 years of age or older when you submit your application and you have your green card showing permanence for 20 years, you are exempt from understanding written and oral English, but you must take the civics test.
- You must also meet this requirement if you are 55 years old or older when you file the application for naturalization and have a green card v demonstrating permanence for 15 years.
In fact, despite qualifying for the English language comprehension exemption, you must take the civics test, as you will take it in your mother tongue, but you must attend the test with an interpreter, who must be fluent in your native language and English.
- But if you are 65 or older and demonstrate permanent residency for at least 20 years with your green card when you apply for citizenship, you may qualify for special consideration regarding the civics test.
How to become an American citizen: the interview
The interview consists of forgiveness questions, citizenship questions, and writing and dictation in English.
Personal Questions for U.S. Citizenship:
They make up 107 questions that you must prepare to understand what they ask you, for example your marital status, if you have married, if you have children, your parents, if you entered or left the country, about your taxes and others, since personal questions are very varied,
They are made up of 100 questions in English corresponding to the history of the United States and the system of government.
Dictation of phrases:
For example The president lives in the white house, America is a free land, I want to be an American citizen, I go to work every day, citizens have the right to vote, Congress is part of the American government, in November they vote for president, the United States flag has stars, senators are elected for 6 years, everyone wants to be free,