How to apply for an L1 visa for the United States

If you are interested in obtaining the l1 visaYou should know that it is aimed at executives and managers of companies whose headquarters are abroad and request it so that one of their employees can work in one of the branches of that same company but in the United States.

In other words, they are multinational companies that transfer employees through the application of this visa whose quota is unlimited. If you want to know more and if you can apply, keep reading …

The different types of L1 visa

Anyway, there are different types of l1 visa, for example there are:

  1. The L1-B visa, to which you can apply if you are a specialized employee with specific and specialized knowledge and skills fundamental to occupying the job position.
  2. The L-1A visa to which you can apply if you work in a branch of a multinational company based in the United States and an executive or manager wants to transfer you to work in an office in the United States.
  3. Anyway, both visas are requested by the employer and even you must have been working in the branch or subsidiary of the company for at least between 12 and 36 months before your L1-A visa is requested.
  4. If you obtain the L1-A visa, you will be able to stay in the United States for a maximum of 7 years.
  5. The company applying for the L1-A visa for you can be a non-profit organization, a charity or a corporation and even a religious organization.
  6. The employer applying for your visa must maintain a relationship that can qualify it, such as a qualified relationship with an affiliated company abroad, a branch or parent company.
  7. Likewise, the employer must be operating a business in the United States and in a foreign country, and say that it maintains an active and continuous commercial relationship with the subsidiary, because if it only has one office, it is not an argument to qualify.
  8. As an employee, you must have worked in the foreign subsidiary for a full and continuous year and counting three years before applying. If in that period you could have worked in the United States, it is not taken into account for you to qualify.
  9. As an employee you must be aware that at the end of the visa term you must return to your country of origin.
  10. In the event that you have children under 21 years of age and a spouse, your family members can obtain the L2 visa.

Requirements for the l1 visa

To apply for the L1-A visa, unless your employer belongs to a recognized company, you must provide the necessary documentation to prove that as an employee you hold a manager or executive position.

Requirements for Visa l1-B

  1. To apply for the L1-B visa, your employer must provide documentation that shows that you have the knowledge and skill required for the job position you will occupy in the United States.
  2. The L1-B visa allows you to be transferred to the United States company if you occupy a specialized job position, for example as a director engineer and supervisor of a manufacturing plant and they transfer you to train other employees

What is the L1 Visa?

1.The L1 visa is understood as the one that allows a person who works in a foreign country to be transferred to the United States to work in an exclusive, specialized or managerial position.

  1. As a foreign employee you are transferred to work in an office of the same company but in the United States.

L1 visa

  1. The l1 visa is the one that allows US companies to transfer temporary workers with unique skills.
  2. Visas for temporary work in addition to the L1A and L1-B is the H1B.
  3. If you obtain the L1 visa, you can apply for the green card without affecting your L1.
  4. If you obtain the L1B visa because you are transferred because of your specialized knowledge, you will live and work in the United States for 5 years.

Green card from visa l1

If you obtained the L1 visa and want to stay in the United States permanently, the green card process is the easiest for you to obtain permanent residence.

You must make the change of status if you meet these requirements:

  1. You worked in the foreign company for one year before the three of you applied for the visa.
  2. You work in the United States in a job position as an executive or manager or accounts with specialized knowledge or accounts with skills that are considered specialized.
  3. During the application process, your employer in the United States and your employer abroad maintain an active relationship.
  4. The relationship of the United States employer and the foreign employer maintain a relationship that can be considered as qualified.
  5. You must demonstrate good moral conduct, that is, if it is detected that you have a criminal record you will be inadmissible.
  6. If you obtain both the L1A visa or the L1B visa, work part time, part time without salary requirements.
  7. Must present proof of executive or managerial employment.
  8. You must present proof of financial qualification corresponding to both companies.
  9. You must present proof of your L1 visa status.

Keep in mind that when applying for your visa you must declare your non-intention to apply for the green card, as this is a prevailing condition for you to receive the visa because it is required that you enter the United States for a specified period and then return to your country originally.

But anyway, if you obtained your L1 visa that allows you to enter and work temporarily in the United States as a non-immigrant, you can apply for the green card that will be based on your employment.


Your emperor will present evidence such as:

  1. Your L1 visa status.
  2. That you worked three years in the subsidiary company before entering the United States.
  3. The description of your job title.
  4. The financial statements and tax returns of the company.

When submitting the visa application, the employer can submit the green card application or make an adjustment of status and the interview will be scheduled to finalize the process.

Leave a Comment