You know that the insurance for apartmentsDespite being affordable, it is the least used type of insurance coverage. If you don’t have a large budget, it can be difficult for you to justify spending money on a policy that you don’t need.
However, it is a good idea to research how much insurance costs so that you realize how cheap and sensible this protection is.
Statistics on Apartment Insurance
When you start thinking about your insurance policy insurance for apartments and how much you would spend on coverage, it helps to consider some statistics.
In 2010, the average cost of an insurance policy in the United States was $ 185 per year.
But insurance costs are highest in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Oklahoma and lowest in North Dakota, South Dakota, and North Carolina.
However, regardless of where you live, the insurance policy and the cost will be unique, as the insurer will take into account your assets, your risk factors and other elements when presenting you with a quote.
Well, there are several factors that affect the cost of insurance, since when calculating the price of insurance, insurance companies evaluate how much coverage you need, the type of coverage you choose, the amount of your deductible and the location of your home or apartment.
All of these factors will affect the insurance rate, and you won’t know exactly how much it will cost to change from company to company until you collect quotes.
When you get an insurance policy quote, you will need to decide how much property coverage you want and how much liability coverage, and you should also consider whether you want to purchase additional endorsements to cover specific items such as high-value collections or jewelry, as the additional coverage will affect the cost of your policy.
Steps to decide on apartment insurance
Follow these steps to decide on apartment insurance:
- Evaluate your belongings, including furniture, electronics, clothing, artwork, kitchen utensils, and collectibles.
- Keep in mind that if you experience a loss, the reimbursement costs cannot exceed the amount of coverage you choose and in the event that you lose everything, is your coverage enough for you to start over and deal with that loss?
- Choose the liability coverage you want, as it will provide coverage for medical bills if someone is injured on your property and if necessary it will also cover legal expenses.
- Well, because the cost of a lawsuit and fees can exceed a million dollars, many insurance professionals recommend buying more than standard coverage.
- Think that if your limit of liability coverage is $ 100,000, you could end up paying the costs of damages and legal fees and you can even raise the limit to $ 300,000 and it will provide you peace of mind, since although by increasing the Liability limit will increase your premium, it is likely to be more affordable than you think.
- Most insurance companies place limits on the amount of coverage they will provide for various categories of personal effects. So if you have a large amount of electronic equipment, designer clothing, or any other expensive collectibles, you may want to consider purchasing additional endorsements in order to get full coverage.
Actual cost or replacement cost coverage
Insurance companies generally offer the option of either real value coverage or replacement cost coverage for belongings.
Actual value coverage covers the depreciated value of your belongings, while replacement cost coverage will provide you with enough to buy a new item as a replacement.
While replacement cost coverage is a bit more expensive, it will most likely prove invaluable in the event of theft, fire, or other incident when you need to replace lost items.
Cheap apartment insurance
Keep in mind that almost all apartment buildings require you to have insurance and therefore look for insurance companies that are the best.
In this sense, the easiest way is for you to get several quotes.
How much renters insurance costs – Renters insurances
Typical renters insurance rates average $ 15 and $ 30 per month or $ 180 and $ 360 per year.
However, the price will depend on the location of the rental unit, the amount of liability protection, and any optional endorsements for personal property.
If the property is located near a flood zone or in the middle of common hurricane territory, it will increase the average cost compared to other locations.
If your apartment or house has a history of multiple claims, your insurance premiums will likely be higher and if you get additional liability coverage arguing the level of reimbursement for valuable jewelry or electronics will also increase your average insurance costs.
Still, although well below the average for homeowners insurance, costs have been relatively stagnant in recent years. For example, between 2004 and 2012, the average cost of renters insurance decreased by 2.1%.
The states with the lowest rates have one thing in common: None are subject to intense or frequent natural disasters compared to the others.
Montana, Wisconsin, South Dakota and North Dakota receive heavy snowfall in winter, but hurricanes and earthquakes are rare and like the others, North Carolina does not have frequent earthquakes and its coasts are not as affected by hurricanes as the Southern states and these factors contribute to the lower-than-average rates for one year of insurance.
The states with the most expensive renters insurance rates have a higher than average rate of natural disasters, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi have coasts in the Gulf of Mexico where hurricanes are a recurring threat,
Then Oklahoma residents also live in extreme weather conditions, having more tornadoes per square mile than anywhere else in the United States and experiencing hail and severe storms every year.
So due to the large amount of damage, the quotes from the renters insurance they tend to be higher on average and compared to the rest of the nation.
Apartment insurance prices
The annual average of the apartment insurance in North Dakota it is $ 115.
In South Dakota the average annual cost is $ 118.
In Wisconsin, the annual average cost is $ 130.
In North Carolina the average is $ 1,345.
In Montana it’s $ 145.
In Mississippi it is $ 244.
In Louisiana it’s $ 242.
In Alabama it’s $ 239.
In Oklahoma it is $ 234.
In Texas it is $ 228.