CalFresh is a nutritional aid program that helps poor Califonia citizens buy groceries for their homes. To apply for Calfresh Benefits, you must provide an SSN and meet other requirements.
Grocery stamps are intended for those on a low income. You can qualify if you:
- Have a social security number or apply for one.
- A U.S. citizen, citizen, or qualified alien status.
- Must register for work if between 18 and 60 years of age incloaded an employment training program. (Some college students may also be eligible.)
SEE ALSO: Food brands NYC application
Application Policy for Calfresh Benefits
It normally takes up to 30 days to process your application. In addition, if you meet any of the expedited service criteria, you may be able to receive benefits within 3 working days:
(1). Your household gross monthly income (pre-deductible income) is less than $ 150 and your cash on hand
or on checking or savings accounts is $ 100 or less; or
(2). Your household’s housing costs (rent / mortgage and utilities) are higher than your gross monthly income and
Cash or in check or savings accounts; or
(3). You are a migrant or seasonal worker household with less than $ 100 in checks or savings and 1) your income has stopped or 2) your income has started but you don’t expect to get more than $ 25 in the next 10 days.
Requirements for achieving advantages
- Identification (driver’s license, identity card, passport).
- Social security numbers.
- Earned income of everyone in your household for that
last 30 days (current pay slips, a job
Declaration from an employer)
- Legal immigration status ONLY for non-citizens applying for benefits (alien registration card, visa).
- Your address where you live (rental agreement, current invoice with your address).
- Medical expenses for everyone in your household who are older (60 years and older) or disabled.
As soon as your application has been approved, your district will send or give you a plastic EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) card.
CalFresh benefits are accepted in most grocery stores and other places that sell groceries.
How to apply for Calfresh benefits online
Provided you are qualified for grocery stamps, you can apply for the benefit online.
Visit http://www.benefitscal.org/ and select your place of residence.
You can also download, print and fill in the application form online. Then submit it to your local County Welfare Office.
Once your benefits are approved, your CalFresh benefit can be used to purchase almost any food, plus seeds and plants, to grow your own food. The benefits cannot be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco, pet food, or some types of cooked food.