How long does the petition from resident parent to child last

If you want to know how long does the petition last from resident parent to child, everything will depend on the way you have submitted the application accompanied by all the documentation that is required, because sometimes the request does not usually take a long time, but other times you will have to wait several years if you have forgotten to attach documentation and therefore the application is rejected.

Guide on how long the petition lasts from resident parent to child

  1. In principle in addition to know how long the petition lasts from resident parent to child, You must be sure that if you have already obtained the green card and therefore you are a permanent resident and you are authorized so that some members of your family can enter the United States as permanent residents.
  2. However, although it usually takes about 1 year and 3 months from the time you submit the application to the interview with the child at the consulate, it will likely take much longer than this time.
  3. If you have unmarried children who are under 21 years of age or unmarried children, whether women or men of any age, you can make the request for them if you have a green card.

How to get a green card for a child

  1. File form I-130 if your child is a foreigner.
  2. Attach proof from your status showing that you are a permanent resident.
  3. Attach a proof that proves your filial relationship and qualifies you as a father, for example the birth certificate of your child, the marriage certificate, the divorce decree if applicable or other documentation that is evidence.
  4. Attach proof of legal name change for your child or yours if applicable.
  5. In the event that you or any other member of your family belongs to the United States Army, special conditions will apply to you, therefore it is convenient for you to approach a USCIS agency to inform you of the benefits of your situation.


There are categories of preference that are the following :, as they are the ones that will be applied when you present the petition: with respect to the children:

First preference

Corresponds to adult sons or daughters and of US citizens, adult children are those who are 21 years of age or older.

Second preference 2B

Corresponds to the adult and unmarried daughters and sons of permanent residents.

Third preference

It is applicable to married sons and daughters regardless of the age of US citizens.

It is important that you know the difference of each category of preference because depending on it it will depend how long does the petition last from resident parent to child, as it means that the waiting time for your child to obtain the immigrant visa number depends on it.

In addition to this, the immigration process also takes into account other aspects such as the marital status of your child.

Well, your child will be considered as a child, if he is single and under 21 years old and will be considered as a son if he is married and over 21 years old.

However, if your son has sons or daughters, you can take advantage of the same request so that they are included.

If your child is not within the United States, your request will be sent to the NVC, National Visa Center and this entity will send it to the United States consulate at the time that visa availability is found and after that your child will be notified and you will receive directions to proceed, which is known as consular processing.

After you have submitted the petition, you will verify its process on the USCIS page, by clicking on Check the status of my case.

Anyway, although your petition may have been approved, it does not mean that you will get a benefit, but that you will only have a waiting place for visa processing.

I am an American resident and I want to ask my son

If you are an American resident and want to ask your child …

  1. Complete the I-130 form that corresponds to the petition for a foreign relative, sign it and accompany it with the corresponding fee.
  2. Attach proof of U.S. citizenship.
  3. Attach a copy of your birth certificate in the United States or a copy of your United States passport or a copy of the consular report that corresponds to the birth abroad or a copy of your naturalization certificate or a copy of your citizenship certificate.
  4. Attach a copy of the green card, form I-551 front and back, or your foreign passport with a stamp indicating permanent residence.
  5. In the event that your or your child’s name has changed, please attach legal proof of name change.
  6. If you are a genetic or non-genetic gestational mother, present a copy of your child’s birth certificate issued by a civil authority.
  7. If you are a genetic father, attach a copy of your child’s birth certificate issued by a civil authority.
  8. If you are no longer married to the gestational or genetic mother, you must attach a legal proof that indicates annulment, divorce or death of the mother.
  9. If you have not married the mother of your child before he turns 18 and is not legitimized under the law, present proof that you have established a father-son relationship before he turns 21 or that is married.
  10. If you are the stepfather and therefore the petition is due to your stepson, attach the birth certificate issued by a civil authority.
  11. If you are the adoptive parent, attach a copy of the adoption decree and a sample of your legal and physical custody of 2 years.

My father is an American citizen, can you ask me

If your father is a United States citizen, he can file the form I-130 to request K-4 nonimmigrant visa so that you obtain the right to enter the United States and live in the United States and you will also be able to attend a school while the application is pending.

Resident parents can ask their children of legal age

Keep in mind that the delay in petitions for children based on requesting their permanent residence can vary from one year to 20 years, since it depends on the category of the request, the place of birth and it can also depend on the service center where the petition begins, as well as the consulate that agrees the interview.